Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Reading Week Part Uno

When you just get tired of looking at your own words,
and when you can't pick up the red pen,
When you feel like your work is worth nothing
or when all you can think about is yourself...

Time to do a reading week!

Like my little poem says, it's time. I've gotten pretty sick and tired of looking at my own work, tired of editing. I still love it, but this is where too much is not a good thing.

Part one on my seven day journey is...

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Goodreads summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.



I thought that this book was really super-duper well-written. I didn't feel like there was a lame moment, or anything to complain about. I went into it kind of knowing what it was about. Cinderella adaptation, sure. About a cyborg, more the merrier. Cover, beautiful. Setting in New Beijing, why not? 


And I kind of gave myself a breather, thinking that the ending would be happily ever after, or as I tell my friends, a "fairy-tale" ending. 


HA.


Everything about this book was wonderful, and I still feel like Cinder is a great heroine. She cracks jokes in the face of danger, and takes prejudice against her with a mussed up dress. She was great.


Spoiler (Kind of. I just say whether or not I like the ending)


I didn't like the ending, pretty much at all. I didn't understand more of it, and it took me a re-read to see what exactly happened. It was building up to this great moment, with a clearly defined voice and a crystal clear way of explaining how things are happening, then boom. I'm highly confused and she's on the ground, but she isn't dead, but they aren't killing her? I'm confused. But I get how it ended, or at least the basics of it. 


Definitely worth reading, but be prepared for a not-so-fairytale ending. 


Random writer facts: Marissa likes to use shell, ironic/irony, and loads of mechanical terms (which I enjoyed.)


Next is Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Pretty excited for this one, and let me give you a bit on the first page since you're here. 


The first page is really...intricate. It took me a second time to look through before I saw the brilliance of the writing. It set the tone, and it showed me a ton about the character without the character even having to talk to another person. Great first page. Jealousy. 


Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you.